There are many issues that can cause your stomach to hurt. These include ulcers, diverticulitis, constipation, infections, parasites, and pancreatitis. But the two most common reasons for stomach pain are irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
There are several possible causes of IBS and IBD. These include:
- Yeast infection (Candida).
- Stomach acid allergy (auto-immune)
- Food allergies
- Environmental Toxins
- Lack of digestive enzymes
- Changes in beneficial intestinal bacteria
- Stress and emotional trauma
Functional Medicine Solutions
Once we know the cause, an integrated and comprehensive treatment protocol can include any of the following:
- Colonic detoxification therapy
- Ozone infusions directly into the colon
- Targeted probiotics
- Combined herbal and prescription protocols for parasites, bacteria, and yeast
- Customized diet based on metabolic type and food sensitivity testing
- Nutritional supplement therapy for leaky gut and GI inflammation
- Liver/gallbladder detoxification
- Digestive enzyme therapy
- NOTE: Parasite infections and food poisoning are often under-suspected and under-treated by conventional doctors.
The Good News
IBS is extremely easy to cure. But the treatments will vary in different patients.
True IBD cases are harder to reverse, but most can be completely resolved or at least greatly improved and manageable.
Functional Medicine Testing
To find a solution, we have to know the cause – which means we have to use the right tests from the right labs.
Unfortunately, the routine stool testing and tests from endoscopy and colonoscopies are often inadequate due to limited testing – usually indicating only “normal” flora and no parasites. This is the classic example of a false negative report.
Functional medicine laboratories that specialize in digestive disorders are the KEY to identifying these trigger-infections, measuring the amount of inflammation, and determine the need for specific types of beneficial bacteria or probiotics.